Mining Rocks!” is the topic in the lates of MEECs essay contest. Hosted by long-time MEEC sponsor Mitsubishi Cement, this essay is sure to have your students “digging” for fun facts and information about mining in the High Desert. As they say: “If it can’t be grown, it must be mined”! Mining is tremendously important to our High Desert Communities and our local Mountain Communities, both for historical development and for current economic activity. Mining companies are working hard to make available raw materials critical to our modern society, and do so in ways that minimize impacts to our environment and sensitive habitats.
Student essay could address any of these issues or similar topics:
• How many local mines are there and what “rocks” do they mine?
• What mining equipment, techniques and processes are used to turn “rocks” into products?
• What important products are made from these mined materials?
• How do mining companies reclaim habitat after mining is completed?
• How much does the local economy depend on mining?
• Do you know someone who works at a local mining company? Talk with that person about what he or she considers important about the job of mining.
• Identify one local mine and explain why the local “rocks” mean that it must be located here.
So students, do your research: mine information from the internet, the library, local miners,
local agencies, and your own mind!
There are five Prize categories:
Kindergarten: Can draw a picture with 2-3 sentences about the concept.
Elementary School (grades 1-2) Middle School (grades 6-8)
Elementary School (grades 3-5) High School (grades 9-12)
First, second, and third place winners will be awarded in each category. First place winners will receive $50, second place $25, and third place will receive $15.00. Kindergarten winners only will receive a $10.00 Award To download a flyer, click here: Mitsubishi Essay 2012”
• Essays should be no more than 250 words in length. EACH ESSAY MUST CONTAIN THE
AUTHOR’S GRADE, SCHOOL AND HOME PHONE NUMBER TO BE CONSIDERED.
• Deadline for submission is March 29, 2012 at 5:00 PM.
• Submissions may be mailed or delivered to:
14306 Park Ave, Victorville, CA 92392
• Winners will be notified by phone and invited to attend the Award Ceremony presentation
at 5:00PM on April19, 2012 at the Mojave Desert AQMD District Office. • For further information, please call Christie Robinson, at: (760) 245-1661 ext 6101
• All submissions become the property of MEEC and Mitsubishi Cement Company