Lockheed Martin presents….
VALUE FOR THE ENVIRONMENT
Ecosystem Services Contest!
What are ecosystem services? Ecosystem services can be defined as “the goods, values, and services people obtain from the natural world.” These services are provided by nature without the help of humans, yet humans benefit from them. They are often completely free, too! These are the four categories of ecosystem services along with a few examples for each:
- Provisioning Services: food, fuel, and freshwater
- Regulation Services: climate regulation, pollination, and water purification
- Supporting Services: soil formation, nutrient cycling, and photosynthesis
- Cultural Services: recreation, education, and cultural heritage
Grades K-6: POSTER CONTEST
Let’s rank ecosystem services!
Choose 5 ecosystem services and rank them 1-5 (1 = highest value, 5 = lowest value) based on what you perceive as their worth. Explain why you ranked each as you did. Be as creative as you’d like!
Grades 7-12: ESSAY CONTEST
Let’s dive deeper into this!
Give a detailed explanation (> 1000 words) as to whether you think ecosystem services should be valued monetarily and why or why not.
1st place: $50
2nd place: $25
3rd place $15
Judging categories are are follows:
1st grade – 2nd grade
3rd grade -6th grade
7th grade -8th grade
9th grade – 12th grade
- Submissions must contain the student’s grade, school, and phone number to be considered.
- Only one entry per student.
- Students will be judged in the following groups: Kindergarten, 1st – 2nd, 3rd – 6th, 7th – 8th, and 9th – 12th.
- Deadline for submission is October 3, 2019 at 5 PM.
- Submissions must be submitted to: MEEC, 14306 Park Ave, Victorville, CA 92392 via or Email: email@example.com
- Winners will be notified by phone and invited to attend an Awards Ceremony on October 22, 2019 at 5 PM at the Antelope Valley AQMD. Located at 43301 Division Street Suite 206, Lancaster, CA 93535.
- For further information, please call MEEC Program Specialist, Samantha Murray, at: (760) 245-1661 ext. 6717
- Note: All submissions will become the property of MEEC and Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company.