The Mojave Environmental Education Consortium continues to grow and expand its teacher outreach efforts throughout the High Desert. This year, continued growth has ensued through a series of teacher workshops, environmental curriculum development and review, expansion of our EE Resource Libraries in Antelope Valley and Victorville, mini-grants for classroom EE projects, field trip grants, and a multitude of other EE related projects. These efforts have been accomplished through the support of MEEC’s stakeholders and educators alike.
MEEC is proud to sponsor its MEEC “Student of the Year” Awards. Each Student of the Year recipient will receive $60 in cash as well as a $60 Staples gift card. The awards banquet will be held on May 3, 2018 at 6 PM at the Hilton Garden Inn in Victorville.
To this end, we are soliciting nominations for “Student of the Year”. The nomination can come from either a principal or teacher. One nomination per teacher/principal, but each school may submit multiple nominations. When selecting the student nominee, the nominator must take into consideration the work that the student has done in leadership toward environmental issues and stewardship. The following stipulations will serve as a guide for assisting you in the nomination process:
- The student will be nominated by a teacher or principal from his/her school.
- The student nominee must have spent a minimum of 12 hours in conservation and environmental education activities.
- The student has educated peer students, school employees or community in environmental issues or conservation.
- The student must have above average academic standing (>2.0 GPA for secondary, and the equivalent for primary grades).
- The student must display leadership qualities, possess good character and a good reputation among peers, and not be a disciplinary problem.
- The student must attend school within MEEC boundaries. MEEC’s boundaries consist of the High Desert portion of San Bernardino County, the Palo Verde Valley of Riverside County and the High Desert region of North Los Angeles County, including the cities of Lancaster and Palmdale.
Please take the time to complete the attached nomination form, and mail your submission to MEEC, 14306 Park Ave., Victorville, CA 92392. Forms may also be faxed to (760) 241-6271 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for entries is 4:00 PM March 16, 2018.
Thank you for your time and consideration in this request, and we look forward to receiving your nomination. Should you have questions, please contact me at (760) 245-1661 ext. 6717.
MEEC Program Specialist