Lockheed Martin Proudly Presents……
“Built to Last”
Making the Mojave Desert Sustainable By Design
A Video Contest for Grades 3-12
Prizes up to $200!
Through this contest, Lockheed Martin is promoting its efforts to make the Skunk Works “Sustainable by Design.” So what does “Sustainable by Design” mean? It means developing and making products using renewable and environmentally-friendly (“green”) materials and practices which allow consumers to reduce their overall environmental impact. For example, Lockheed Martin is developing hybrid aircraft that will reduce the environmental impacts over using ground transportation, and compact fusion which will supply the world with unlimited clean energy! Sustainability means recycling, conserving energy and using natural resources efficiently in order to be able to support the people of the planet forever.
In a one to three minute video, show off your news reporting skills around your home, school and community by interviewing at least one person about “Making the Mojave Desert Sustainable by Design.”
You can interview fellow students, teachers, business leaders or community members and ask them the following questions:
- What does sustainability mean to you?
- How do you affect (practice) sustainably in your job (or at school)?
- How do you affect (practice) sustainability at home?
- What else can we do to make the Mojave Desert more “sustainable by design?”
How will you decided who to interview for your video? Think about a business or school club or home owner that is doing something special to protect or preserve the environment. For example, you could interview a business that has installed solar panels, a teacher or student who has started a recycling club, or a group or agency that is promoting water conservation. It’s up to you!
There are THREE Prize categories:
Grades 3-5 Grades 6-8
First, second, and third place winners will be selected in each category. All awards are gift cards.
First place winners will receive $200 , second place $150, and third place will receive $75. Winners will also receive a SolarTab solar charger from Lockheed Martin valued at $130!
Create an innovative one to three minute video promoting sustainable design in the Mojave Desert. Your video will be judged on uniqueness, creativity and the best portrayal of sustainable design. Providing a “title” for your video is optional.
- Videos may be submitted as a DVD/CD, SchoolTube/YouTube/PowToon link, or Media File
- Video links and Media Files may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- DVD/CD entries may be mailed or hand delivered to: MEEC, 14306 Park Ave, Victorville, CA 92392
- Individual entries only. Each entry must contain the student’s name, grade, school and contact phone number to be considered.
- Deadline for submission is October 6, 2016 at 5:00 PM.
- Winners will be notified by phone and invited to attend the Awards Ceremony
on November 2, 2016 at the Antelope Valley AQMD Offices in Lancaster.
For further information, please call Samantha Murray, at: (760) 245-1661 ext. 6717
All submissions become the property of MEEC and Lockheed Martin